Friday, July 12, 2013

Dreams & Goals.

When I started running, I had a pretty simple goal -- finish a 5K.  Then, I decided to run a half marathon.  When I started my serious distance running, I thought to myself that it would be fantastic to run a distance race in one of the three places I consider "home."  Philly was my childhood home, Pittsburgh is my adopted home, and Denmark is my homeland.  I'm a first generation American on my dad's side, and a second generation American on my Mom's Dad's side.  Denmark is home. 

Since I decided to run a half, I had two options: Philly or Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh was still 8 months away, while Philly was just 4 months
away.  So, I chose Philly.

Such a flattering picture.

 
And I finished.  Slowly, and I was injured, but I did it.

Then, I was hooked.  And I decided to do Pittsburgh.

A bit more flattering.
And I finished.  Slowly, and after beating myself up most of the way, but I did it.

So, that left me with just Denmark on my list of homes where I wanted to run.  The Copenhagen Marathon is in May, so I know I won't be ready for a full marathon in May, so I scratched Denmark off the list for a while.

Until today.

 
 
This morning, I found out that the Copenhagen Half Marathon is run in September.  I happen to be going to Denmark to visit my family in September.  The Half Marathon happens to be exactly a week after I get to Copenhagen.
 
So I registered.  I know I'll be slow, and I know I'll probably finish last (past race results show that Danes run fast, and I'm the slowest Dane ever) since the last person last year finished in 3:25 which is faster than my half times.  But I don't care!  I'm sucking up the "I don't want to be last" feeling, and I'm going to enjoy my run around a city I love and a country I call home!

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting! Don't worry about your time. Just go, have fun, and accomplish a goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing experience that is going to be!! You are going to be great no matter what place you finish.

    ReplyDelete